Our mission is to provide technical and academic skills to prepare all students for career success in the 21st Century.
Steve Lilly, Instructor
The Electrical Technician program is designed to meet the standards of the West Virginia State Fire Marshal. The program is nationally accredited by COE (Council on Occupational Education.)
Program instruction incorporates lecture, technical presentations, hands-on learning, collaborative work projects, and individualized instruction. Numerous concepts and components of the electrical industry are presented during 1,080 hours of instruction and career training. Courses are scheduled once per year. Courses begin in August, and pre-entrance testing for the program begins in January prior to the start date.
Journeyman Electrician licensure may be awarded by the State of West Virginia after meeting all requirements of the WV State Fire Marshal, successfully completing the program, and obtaining a passing score on the exam given by the West Virginia State Fire Marshal.
WVDE requirements to be eligible to sit for the Electrical Journeyman License:
- Attain an overall grade of "B" or better in the four required state-approved CTE Electrical Technician Program of Study required courses AND the four specialization courses used to meet the 1080 hours needed to sit for the Journeyman's License as stated in the Electrician Licensing Rules from the West Virginia State Fire Marshall's office;
- Attain a verified school attendance record of no more than 6 days absent in a 1 year - 1,080 hour program or 12 days absent in a two year - 1,080 hour program;
- Earn the OSHA 10 certification;
- Pass a minimum of TWO documented drug screenings; and
- Score at or above the Workforce Entry-Level cut score on the industry-recognized written AND satisfactorily pass a performance
9001A Electrical Trades I
9002A Electrical Trades II
9003A Electrical Trades III
9004A Electrical Trades IV
9006A Industrial & Commercial Wiring
9007A Integrated Electrical Lab
9008A National Electrical Code
9009A Residential Wiring
Total Cost: $4,881.00
Cost breakdown available upon request.
MCTEC does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, disability, or national origin in employment or educational programs or activities. Inquiries may be referred to Amanda Aliff, Section 504 Coordinator, at Mercer County Schools, 1403 Honaker Avenue, Princeton, WV 24740. Phone 304-487-1551. Lack of English language skills is not a barrier to participation in any course.